We’re facing unprecedented disruption to the way we work. Here are some human intelligence tips for legal professionals to help engage with your team and your clients while working from home.
1. Take the Lead
– Set the high-level goals and expectations for your team.
– Tell your team that you trust them to do what they have to do to meet those goals. E.g. also caring for children or others, working different hours.
2. Reduce Uncertainty
– Make sure everyone has access to the technology that they need to do their work.
– Tell your clients what arrangements will be in place.
3. Increase Communication
– Have regular short video chats during the week to check in with each other but be flexible about the time and expect to see family activities happening in the background.
– Set up a group chat thread to capture the social side of working in an office.
4. Prepare to Positively Deal With Issues
– Do what you can to share the flow of work more evenly around your team and ease the burden on team members who have additional responsibilities outside of work.
– Accept news of issues with a positive attitude and manage the solution without laying blame.
When this initial period of uncertainty is over, it will be an excellent time to consider how you and your team will work for the long term. You may find that you discover ways to increase efficiency and effectiveness in your practice that you can implement more permanently in the future.